About 15 volunteers are on standby at the Murray Bridge State Emergency Service station as wild weather grips parts of the region.
So far, there have been no reports of weather damage in the Murray Bridge area but unit manager Kylie Davis warned people to be alert and prepared.
The SES has warned people against driving through flood water as roads are often washed away or are severely damaged underneath the fast flowing floodwater, car mechanics can shut down and put lives at risk.
The Murray Bridge SES has distributed more than 200 sandbags in the past 24 hours.
SES crews in Meningie have responded to a few reports of flooding.
People are also advised to be prepared with torches and battery-operated radios for potential power outage if the predicted wild weather hits.
A lightning strike has started a fire near Mannum. The grass fire ignited just after 2pm on Long Gully Road. The Country Fire Service has been called to the blaze.
The State Emergency Service is also responding to a call for help from the severe weather at the Meningie Waterfront Motel.
Unbelievable photos from around the Murraylands have shown a tornado reported at Monarto around 2pm this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology has confirmed the reports.
At 1.38pm the bureau warned of “explosive” storms developing east of the Mount Lofty Ranges.
The Standard’s readers reported mostly calm conditions near Murray Bridge around 2.15pm, but a Caloote resident reported 12.5 millimetres of rain and another at Meningie said there had been some flooding.
Received reports of a tornado in the Monarto area. The storm has now contracted southeast. Warning upgraded for destructive wind potential.— BOM South Australia (@BOM_SA) November 4, 2015
The State Emergency Service has announced it will hold a press conference at 3pm.
More to come.
Murray Bridge’s State Emergency Service (SES) is handing out sandbags for the second time in two days, after a night on which forecast storms failed to materialise.
Emergency services attended no storm-related incidents overnight, though about 10 residents came to collect sandbags from the SES headquarters on Thomas Street.
The Bureau of Meteorology is continuing to warn residents of all parts of South Australia to watch out for possible flooding, and has issued a severe storm warning for the Mid North and districts further to the northwest.
Rainfall of 15-35 millimetres is expected across central and eastern agricultural areas between Wednesday morning and Thursday night, the bureau says, and storms and heavier rainfall of up to 65mm are possible.
There is a risk of rising water levels in rivers and creeks, and people living or working near them should monitor forecasts and be ready to move to a safe location should flooding eventuate.
As such, the SES has opened its doors between 11am and 1pm today to hand out sandbags again.
Although there are “road closed” signs further down the street, an SES member said the service was still open for business.
For more information on how to sandbag your property, watch the video below.