The state government remains concerned about receiving the 450 gigalitres (GL) of water promised to South Australia in the Murray-Darling Basin Plan, despite a recommitment from Ministers in the eastern states.
The Ministerial Council met last Friday and South Australian representatives formally raised concerns about the Basin government’s commitment to recovering the 450 GL as part of the 3200 GL of water to be returned to the River Murray.
Earlier that day, council agreed to commission an independent expert analysis on how to design and target recovery of the extra 450 GL for South Australia.
However, Minister for Water Ian Hunter said he was concerned about New South Wales’ and Victoria's undertaking to deliver the water downstream.
“I remain concerned that Victoria and New South Wales are moving at a break-neck pace to write down the water recovery by up to 650GL of down water but are not as committed to securing the 450GL,” he said.