'Deeply troubled': House of Cards to end following Spacey harassment scandal

Netflix hit House of Cards will end after its sixth season, following allegations of sexual harassment against star Kevin Spacey.

But despite the timing of the announcement, producers on the show and reps for Netflix said the decision was months in the making and unrelated to the claims against Spacey.

On Monday, Spacey, 58, was accused by US actor Anthony Rapp of making a "sexual advance" towards him in 1986 when he was just 14 years old.

Facing allegations of sexual harassment: House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey. Photo: Netflix

Facing allegations of sexual harassment: House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey. Photo: Netflix

Spacey's response to the allegations, in which he said he did not remember the incident and pegged it to "inappropriate drunken behaviour", drew criticism from both Hollywood peers and commenters online.

He was also chastised for publicly coming out as gay in the same apology, in what some saw as an attempt to deflect the sexual assault allegations.

Netflix and Media Rights Capital, the company that produces House of Cards, issued a statement on Tuesday morning in the wake of the accusations.

"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey.

"In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported," the statement reads.

"As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time."

House of Cards was the first original series produced by Netflix. Its instant success sparked the streaming giant's expansion into original content.

Spacey has starred on the show since its launch in 2013, earning critical acclaim and a Golden Globe for Best Actor (TV) for his turn as power-hungry political player Frank Underwood.

Following a lukewarm response to its fifth season, showrunners Melissa James Gibson and Frank Pugliese had hinted at the series' uncertain future in June, tellingTVLine that its continued run was "not entirely up to us".

However, the show's sixth season began shooting earlier this month.

Original House of Cards creator Beau Willimon was the first on the series to respond to Rapp's claims on Monday, saying while he never personally saw Spacey behaving inappropriately on or off set, he found the accusations "deeply troubling".

"I take reports of such behaviour seriously, and this is no exception," he wrote on Twitter. "I feel for Mr Rapp and I support his courage."

The future of another Netflix project starring Spacey, a biopic on late author Gore Vidal, was also currently being reviewed, Deadline reported.

This story 'Deeply troubled': House of Cards to end following Spacey harassment scandal first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.