The Country Fire Service (CFS) has issued a warning about dry hay in the wake of a hay shed fire at Lameroo on Friday.
CFS crews were called to the fire at a property on Billiatt Road just before 1.30pm, when smoke was reported drifting across roads and the nearby area.
Fire fighters found the structure “fully involved” and were unable to prevent it being destroyed, at a cost of $150,000.
However, they were able to prevent the fire from spreading to a nearby diesel tank or anywhere else.
They expected the hay to keep smouldering for several days.
The fire’s cause was unknown in the immediate aftermath, but was thought to be spontaneous combustion.
As such, the CFS urged farmers to check the moisture content of their hay before baling.
If there were signs the hay was starting to head once baled, they said, stacks should be pulled apart to improve airflow and allow cooling.
It was the second hay fire the local CFS had attended that day.