Thomas Foods International clean-up begins after Murray Bridge meat works fire | VIDEO, PHOTOS

The clean-up of Thomas Foods International's fire-damaged Murray Bridge meat works has begun.

As many as six Royal Park Salvage trucks have been lined up on Lagoon Road at times, awaiting the tonnes of charred rubble and scorched metal that formerly made up the meat works’ boning rooms and nearby facilities.

There is no word yet on how long the job will take, but the fire was still burning in the building’s basement yesterday.

On Tuesday, the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) stepped in to supervise the removal of carcasses that had been stored in chiller rooms damaged by the fire.

The carcasses will be disposed of in a lined cell at the Brinkley waste depot.

EPA officers will keep an eye on both ends of the process to ensure the smell does not cause any public nuisance.

SA Health has advised that while the smells coming from the plant may be unpleasant, they are not poisonous or toxic, and should dissapate once the carcasses are removed.

Mehdi Doroudi, chair of a task force dealing with the fire's aftermath, said regular meetings were taking place in the early stages of the clean-up and rebuilding process.

"Access to the site is still limited and TFI is yet to complete a full assessment of the damage," he said.

"However, it's now been assessed as safe to remove the carcasses which were hanging in chiller storage rooms in the abattoir at the time of the fire.

"I commend Thomas Foods for the way they continue to handle this devastating event.

"They are working around the clock to keep staff informed, as well as reassure customers and the wider community of their commitment to move forward and rebuild."

In a statement, Thomas Foods said they were working with the relevant authorities to prioritise the removal of the carcasses.

Comments

Discuss "Clean-up begins at Thomas Foods, Murray Bridge"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.