February saw the first meeting for the year of the Murray Bridge Garden and Floral Art Club.
A good number of members were in attendance to hear South Australian and Northern Territory Amgrow manager Alex Wilson from Amgrow speak on the company’s wide range of gardening products.
In introducing Mr Wilson, club president Rob Butcher said it was great to have Mr Wilson present to address the club.
Mr Wilson, who is a qualified horticulturalist, has worked for Amgrow now for four years and prior to that he worked for Newman’s Nursery in Tea Tree Gully.
“Amgrow home garden is one of Australia’s largest home garden product suppliers, offering a wide range of solutions that allows the home gardener to see proven results in their everyday gardens,” Mr Wilson said.
Mr Wilson gave club members a brief history of the company he works for and recommended certain methods beneficial to gardens, including the benefits of bees.
“By attracting and concentrating bee foraging, pollen transfer can be increased,” Mr Wilson said.
“Greater yields and improved quality are typical benefits of more thorough honey bee pollination.
“Virtually all crops can benefit from additional bee foraging – whether a crop requires pollen transfer between varieties, flowers or parts.”
Mr Wilson also discussed the benefits of fulvic acid.
“Fulvic acid is a natural component of humus that helps plants absorb nutrients.. which increases growth, improve flowering and fruiting and will assist in creating healty soil,” he said.
Greater yields and improved quality are the typical benefits of more thorough honey bee pollination.Amgrow's Alex Wilson
February competition results
- Floral Arr: 1st D.Griffiths, 2nd B.Rule, R.MacCulloch
- Fruit: 1st P.Crowley, 2nd M.McDougall, 3rd D.Woidt
- Lrg Garden Cut: 1st/2nd D.Woidt, 2nd R, C.Butcher
- Sml Garden Cut: 1st/3rd B.Rule, 2nd R, C.Butcher
- Rose Bloom: 1st B.Rule, 2nd D.Bolt, 3rd R, C.Butcher
- Mini Bloom: 1st B.Rule, 2nd R, C.Butcher, 3rd B.Rule
- Veg: 1st M.McDougall, 2nd P.Crowley
- Home made: 1st D.Woidt, 2nd B.Rule
- Pots etc: 1st D. Woidt, 2nd and 3rd B.Rule
- Eggs: 1st B, D.Hoffman
- Roses: 1st B.Rule, 2nd B, D.Hoffman
- Overall: D.Woidt