FOOTBALL: River Murray Football League match reports, May 30 | ROUND 8

Got you: Mypolonga’s Jed Wilson tackles Mannum ruckman Jake Bowen to the ground as Mannum’s Mark Mueller and team-mates Max Tonkin and James Moss during a downpour in the league game on Saturday.
Got you: Mypolonga’s Jed Wilson tackles Mannum ruckman Jake Bowen to the ground as Mannum’s Mark Mueller and team-mates Max Tonkin and James Moss during a downpour in the league game on Saturday.

Mypolonga hosted Mannum in its River Murray football league round eight match. 

It was a close and hard fought game for three quarters, but in the last term Mannum ran away with the match.

 Mannum ruckman Jake Bowen was best for the Roos and worked hard all over the ground for his side. 

Jed Wilson, in the middle for the Tigers, worked tirelessly all day for his side as did captain James Moss. 

Chris Hall, for Mannum, was handy up forward and kicked four goals and his team-mate Korey Loechel, with his solid structure and strong marking ability, was an asset in the forward 50. 

Mannum had more centre clearances for the match and seemed to work the ball with ease around the ground while the Tigers were not quite tough and hard enough as the players seemed to switch off in the last term. 

The Tigers were in a winning position for three quarters of the game but Mannum piled on eight goals in the final term while Mypo could only manage three goals for the duration. 

In the end Mannum ran out easy winners over Mypolonga by 39 points.

Imperials travelled to Jervois to take on the Bluds at their home ground in a hotly contested River Murray football match.

The Blues won the toss and kicked to the river end in blustery, drizzly conditions. 

Jervois got off to a great start with a goal to Brock Wells, but then Imperials took control as Gareth Williams goaled.

 Imps kept on attacking and goaled again through Jamie Honner while Williams and Daniel Girdham was in everything, as they just kept pushing forward. 

Jervois were not to be over-run as Scott Crouch put his body on the line, along with Clint Richardson. 

Again Imps went forward scoring points or with the ball going out on the full, but at quarter time they led 4.4 to 1.0.

The Blues started where they left off with Sumner getting to ball to Kenny, who missed the shot. 

Jervois ran the ball forward and found Josh Coulter who kicked truly. 

Jervois began to push forward, scoring a point through Gommers. 

Imperials worked the ball to the club side wing, where Sumner went for a run, being chased by Mitchell Noye, and took several bounces to kick a good goal. 

Jervois, again went forward and when Jay Williams received a free kick in front of goal, he had the Bluds third goal.

 Henry Hodge, who was playing well, got the ball to Honner as Imperials replied. 

In the ruck duels Imperials’ Louis DeMichele and Jervois’ Fraser Thorn had a good battle, but as Jervois were getting the ball out of centre and attacking, the Imperials defence stood firm.

 Jordan Hollitt and Ryan Edwards, in particular, were impassable as Jervois could only manage points. 

Half time scores were Imperials 6.6, Jervois 4.2.

The weather had calmed and it was great conditions for football in the second half. 

Gareth Williams, Imperials, started the quarter with a great goals and was backed up by Honner. 

Thorn goaled for Jervois after he was put on the attack after Imperials gave away two 50-metre penalties. 

The move seemed to rejuvenate Jervois as they attacked, scoring several points until Coulter goaled. 

Rick Fischer was put in front of Jervois goals, after another 50-metre penalty from Imperials, he kicked straight for a goal. 

Imperials started forward, but Jervois’ Tim Hartman did a great smother and Peter Zarantonello defended well as the game went on. 

Kerran Hall, steadied the ship for Imperials with a goal, then the Blues attacked but Mitchell Noye and James Cobbledick were held firm. 

Sumner was in everything, but his disposal let him down, and then Dwayne Wilson goaled to give Imperials some breathing space. 

For Jervois, Ryan McKaye stood tall and repelled the Imperial attack, but Luke Harrowfield showed his class with a timely goal. At the final break Imperials led 11.8 to 7.4.

Imperials started the quarter hard but Mitchell Noye took a great defensive mark. 

Jervois went forward and Tim Hartman got the ball to Coulter, who couldn’t control it. 

Rick Fischer received a free for Jervois added another point. 

The ruckman still battled hard, and as Jervois went forward Sumner intercepted the ball and kicked another goal on the run for Imperials. 

At that point the game could have been over, but Jervois still attacked, but Hollitt, Edwards and Aston were impenetrable in defence until Zarantonello squeezed through a much needed Jervois goal. 

Crouch received a free kick after a fierce tackle saw him go off injured and Owen Love took his free to goal.

 The ball seesawed between the two goals with both teams focused on the ball. 

The final siren went with Imperials winning, 12.8 to 9.7.

Meningie flexed its muscles in a bid to win back-to-back premierships with a comfortable 31-point win over Ramblers in River Murray football on Saturday.

The Bears were in control for most of the match and the margin would have been significantly higher if they reigning premiers had kicked straight, finishing with 23 behinds for the match.

Meningie’s star onball brigade won the battle of the midfield, with ruckman Jarrad Thorpe feeding Brian Fenton, Matt Brunoli, Jake Liston and co to give forwards Josh Benbow, Justin Smart and Cyril Trevorrow plenty of opportunities.

The match began tightly with both sides attempting to gain ascendency, with Benbow in particular lively early on. Meningie went into quarter-time with a 14-point lead and were threatening big to break the game open.

Things remained tight in the second term, with both sides nailing five majors each.

Rambler defender Ty Pfeiffer was having the better of his battle with Brad Eagle, while one of the highlights of the term a brilliant checkside goal from Rooster crowd favourite Michael Fiegert.

Liam O’Neil and Jarrad Weyland were battling hard for the Roosters in the middle, but were always up against it with the quality of the opposition.

Meningie opened up the match in the third term, booting four goals to two to take a 40-point lead into the last term.

Justin Smart was weaving his magic on the half forward flank for Meningie, finishing with five goals for the match as he constantly bamboozled his opponents.

Ramblers kicked the first goal of the last quarter, giving the local faithful hope of s miracle comeback. 

Sadly, it was not to be as Meningie went on to comfortably win the match, with only poor kicking at preventing the margin from blowing out further.

Gun midfielder Brian Fenton was named best on ground for Meningie, with Justin Smart a close second with a sensational match at half forward.

Brunoli, Trevorrow and Todd McKay were also named in the best.

Jarrad Weyland and Liam Oneil were Ramblers’ best two players, while Ty Pfeiffer, Alex Pfeiffer and Michael Fiegret battled gallantly.


Discuss "FOOTBALL: River Murray Football League match reports, May 30 | ROUND 8"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.