Thieves often see the festive season as a great opportunity to steal from you, your car and even break into your home.
But there are ways to keep those people from ruining your Christmas and holiday season.
SA Police have supplied some great tips to minimise the risk of you and your family becoming a victim of crime.
While you are shopping remember:
- Do not leave presents or other valuables such as your GPS unit or phone visible in your car.
- Keep your handbag or other bag zipped and close to you at all times.
- Do not let anyone see your PIN.Do not carry large amounts of cash.
- After every purchase ensure you receive your credit card and receipts.
- Secure personal items such as your handbag in your car before unloading shopping.
- If shopping online make sure your computer has up-to-date security.
- If you go to an automatic teller machine for cash, check for people around and make sure it is in a well-lit and safe location.
When you are leaving home for your holidays remember:
- Don’t leave presents in sight of a doorway or window.
- Discarded packaging for electronic or expensive items should be broken down and placed in the rubbish bin, not left visible in the street.
- Don’t leave an answer machine message advertising you are away for the Christmas holidays.
- If you are going away, let your neighbours know, ask a friend or relative to house-sit or consider joining Neighbourhood Watch.
- Don’t advertise your absence - ask someone to collect mail from your letter box or arrange for Australia Post to hold it.
- Be wary of posting too much information via social media about your absence from the home.
- Use a light timer to create the impression you are still at home.
- Don’t hide a spare key under the mat or in any other obvious spot.
- If you have a house alarm, ensure that it works.
- Lock all outside sheds and garages.