Murray Valley Standard Throwback Thursday, August 31, 1945: Victory dances

From the archives of The Murray Valley Standard, August 31, 1945.

Victory ball

A grand victory ball was held on Tuesday last in the Karoonda Institute, which was crowded.

Over £27 was taken during the night, and a competition of guessing how many beans in the bottle added £10 to the night’s takings.

Mr and Mrs Mikan were the winners of the lucky cap, Mr and Mrs Leahy won the Monte Carlo and Mr and Mrs Whitford were the winners of the statue dance.

Air Training Corps rally

The official parade for the weekend assembled in the high school quadrangle under the direction of Flight Lieutenant Fulton.

CK Beviss, who acted as squadron leader, took the squadron via Mary Terrace to Bridge Street, then past the town hall where Wing Commander Sir AG Barrett took the salute.

The march was continued along Adelaide Road and Thomas Street to Murray Park, where the cadets enjoyed chops of their own cooking over fires prepared by the local flight.

News of our fighting forces

In an interesting letter to his parents, Mr and Mrs JW Smith of Mary Terrace, Private BM Smith, who was a member of the famous 25th Battalion which made history on Bouganville, says that at the present moment he is enjoying himself with plenty of swimming and fishing and sailing in native boats.

Men of the division with which Pte Smith served destroyed a total of 5000 Japs.

Corporal Charlie Lucas and Private Murray Eismann were also in the same unit.

Wool-classing demonstration

A meeting of the Forster branch of the Agricultural Bureau was held on August 8 in Mr LEA Kroehn’s shearing shed, and a record crowd of 160 persons from the surrounding district was present.

The main business of the evening was a wool classing demonstration by Mr JC Smith, instructor in charge at the School of Mines and Industries.

The evening was concluded with supper and dancing.

Jervois defeats Tailem Bend in first semi-final

With a lead of 10 points at the end of the third quarter, the Tailem team was unfortunate to only have 17 men left on the ground, as both Davies and Russell were forced to retire owing to injuries.

Jervois then took complete control, led by Hyam and McGlasson, who played brilliantly right through the match, and Lokan, who had been very quiet during the early part of the match but staged some fine marks to lead his team to an easy victory by 32 points.

For sale

  • Asbestos cement building sheets, from Wunderlich Limited
  • Boys’ blazers, 10/3 at Bell’s
  • Gold eternity rings, from 35/- at Offe’s Jewellers

This week in history

10 years ago: August 29, 2008

Jervois’ Trevor Rigney hoped to become the first River Murray footballer to kick 100 goals and win the Mail Medal in the same year.

20 years ago: August 27, 1998

Dairy farmers including Mypolonga’s Graham Smart feared industry deregulation would lead to Victorian producers flooding the market.

40 years ago: August 31, 1978

“The people’s own transport system” was on the verge of collapse, Australian Railways Union secretary Nick Alexandrides told 140 workers at Tailem Bend.

80 years ago: September 2, 1938

B Matthews resigned as caretaker of Long Island and was told to vacate his shack on the island by September 10.