It's that time of year again — the frost is melting, the sun's shining, and those thick jumpers in the closet are about to go back into storage. It's the perfect time to reignite your motivation by implementing a few changes and ‘freshening up’ tactics! Here are a few simple tips to get you started.
1. Team Up – Creating new habits, or reigniting (good) old ones is much more effective when you partner with someone. Team up with someone who has similar goals, and whose schedule matches yours. Plan to do your exercise together.
2. Buy some new shoes – This is a great way to kickstart some new motivation and get you out that door – everyone loves the feeling of new shoes! Wherever possible, choose high quality shoes that will support you properly, especially if you are a runner.
3. Clean out the pantry – Still got some ‘comfort food’ hanging around in the cupboards? Toss it out, along with any other foods that are low in nutritional value. Start afresh with foods that will support and nourish you on your path to your goals.
4. Create some new playlists – Still got the same music on rotation from 6 months ago? Mix it up, and introduce some new tunes/content – music is a very powerful motivator.
5. Treat yourself to some new workout gear – Like shoes, everyone loves new clothes! Head out and grab some new gear to hit the gym or the great outdoors in – especially with the advent of the warmer weather.
6. Stay hydrated – Drink plenty of water to promote general health, but also to prevent muscle cramping and excess fatigue. As a general rule, aim for 2 litres across the day and then add in more based on how much you exercise you do and how much you sweat.
7. Set goals and reward yourself- A person without a goal can be much like a ship without a rudder! Set smaller short term goals in context to your bigger long term goal. Be realistic and make them achievable. Factor in milestones and reward yourself with a massage, shopping trip or weekend away when you reach those milestones.
STARCLUB is a free club development tool with templates helping clubs be welcoming, sustainable, vibrant and safe for all.
STARclub Field Officer - Murraylands