Delay plans for burn-off

SA CFS (Country Fire Service) have urged people to delay plans to burn off tomorrow (October 19), with winds forecast to reach 50 km/hr.

State duty commander, Brett Loughlin said although CFS is pleased to see people clean up their properties ahead of the fire danger season, it is important all burning activity stops ahead of tomorrow.

“Although we’ve seen some rain this week, conditions through much of the state is still dry. Therefore with the winds we’re forecast to experience, it will be easy for fires to quickly become out of control,” he said.

“There will still be time for people to prepare for the upcoming fire season with conditions on the weekend forecast to be better for burning.”

CFS also reminded residents of the important to ensure all burn-offs conducted earlier in the week were fully extinguished before winds picked up.

“We’re asking people who’ve had burn-off to check it and extinguish it by pouring water on it. It’s also important they check the site tomorrow to ensure it has not reignited.”

Those working outside should ensure a water source is nearby in case any sparks they create are quickly extinguished.

“Welding, cutting, harvesting or even driving through a paddock with high fuel can cause a fire to start, and with the winds we may experience tomorrow, a fire starting could be hard to control.

“We’re asking people to take extra precautions and not undertake any risky activity.”

Voluntary harvesting codes of practice are available on the CFS website www.cfs.sa.gov.au.

For rules about burning off in townships contact your local council and check EPA (Environmental Protection Authority) regulations.