Long Flat stone built Adelaide’s landmarks

C Champion's quarry in 1933. Photo: Supplied.

C Champion's quarry in 1933. Photo: Supplied.

The main Murray Bridge quarries were Sunnyside Quarries, which operated between 1887 and 1930, and the Long Flat Road Quarries, which had many lease owners over time and was the longest running quarry in the area.

It was a major producer of rock-face and chisel-face limestone.

The honey-coloured limestone was comparatively priced so it became the most used for the major Adelaide buildings in North Terrace: the Art Gallery of South Australia in 1898-1936, South Australian Museum in 1908, Bonython Hall in 1933 and extensions to the General Post Office.

In 1887 Mr Charles Grant opened a quarry on the east side of Murray Bridge.

Mr Walter C Torode leased the same in November 1903, on section 199 Sunnyside Quarries.

On May 11, 1917 an enquiry was sent to the council re a stone crusher on the Bartlett property.

This became Champion Quarries on Long Flat Road in Murray Bridge and then became Pitt’s Quarries.

Mr Pitt was the operator of the Long Flat Road Quarry.

It operated from before 1923 to 1946.

Over time this quarry, pictured in 1933, changed the area completely.

The very high cliffs to the river’s edge had gone and a new road was undertaken close to the quarry.  

The Pitts Quarry also produced lime and hydrated lime.

This was made by burning the limestone in kilns to make lime mortar for bricklaying.

This was a very dangerous occupation that left the men with lung problems.

It was hard work and they were paid 1/- per coal truck.

This quarry was closed in the 1960s.

The Davis family worked this quarry.

  • Continued February 5

Murray Bridge and District Historical Society – a community saving our past

Comments