Past students and teachers from the Caloote Primary School, which closed in 1965, will reunite at a shared lunch at Palmer this Sunday.
Attendees are asked to bring savoury finger food and sweets to share, drinks, school photos or memorabilia, and a donation to cover the cost of hiring the pavilion at the oval - formerly the site of the school's sports days.
The school was established in 1881 as Summerfeldt Provisional School.
It received its lasting name, derived from a Ngaralta Aboriginal word, in 1885, when German farmer Carl Rathmann senior laid out plans for a township in the area, which would soon include a wine saloon and several cottages.
Only a few stones now remain on the original site, just north of the Reedy Creek bridge on Mannum Road.
Its first teacher was John Hausler, whose inaugural class of nine included members of the McDonald, Kroehn, Baensch, Bottroff, Kowald and Farrelly families.
Many of his students walked five miles or more to get to school each day.
The school closed in 1909 and its wooden building was moved to a site in the township.
It reopened in 1911 and operated for another 54 years.