A family is mourning an 18-month-old girl who died after an accident in a Tailem Bend driveway on Saturday.
The girl was struck by a four-wheel drive and taken to the nearby hospital around 12.30pm.
Paramedics tried desperately to save her, but were unable to do so.
Major crash investigators attended the scene of the tragedy.
Accidents involving children in driveways occur all too often - more than once a week somewhere in Australia, on average, according to Kidsafe SA.
The organisation suggests "don't go if you don't know", and recommends taking six steps to ensure children's safety:
- A driveway is a small road; don't allow children to play in it
- All cars have a blind spot
- Always watch children when a car is about to move, and hold onto them
- If you are the only adult present, put children in the car when you move it
- Use fences and gates to restrict access to the driveway from the house and front yard
- Always walk right around a car and check before getting in and moving it