Murraylands retailers are determined to bounce back after the recent pandemic forced many of them to temporarily close their doors, according to a survey conducted by Regional Development Australia Murraylands and Riverland.
Buying local is one way to help get the Murrayland's economy on the rise again, as businesses and customers begin to stir from COVID-19 restrictions.
The RDAMR's We Are Here survey has shown the region's business owners were hopeful they could reopen their businesses and bring staff back to work.
According to RDAMR, there was only one survey participant who feared they may not recover from Cpandemic restrictions and would have to close their business.
Some of the other data from the survey revealed:
- Majority of retail business owners reported a drop in activity of anywhere between 10pc to 100pc compared to before COVID-19;
- 35% have seen a 100% drop in business activity
- Almost half of respondents were hopeful staffing levels would return to normal within six months'
- 79pc of businesses were seeking government support;
- 50pc of business have changed staff hours;
- Half of respondents have innovated to find new business offerings;
RDAMR regional development manager Sandy Iosefellis said that even in the face of adversity, many local businesses were committed to finding a way to service the community.
"Over the past two months, we've seen a great deal of resilience and innovation from the retail sector," Ms Iosefellis said.
"Whether it's the grocery sector tackling increased demand or the small independent sole trader businesses forced to close their doors and move to online platforms, many are adapting at pace."
According to the RDAMR, some small business owners were using shutdowns or decreased activity as a time to upskill staff and create new ways to expand into retail markets.
One such way is the ability to access three hours of professional advice, for a reduced cost, through the RDAMR Business-2-Business program.
- Details: The We Are Here survey is still open and for a list of programs available for businesses visit https://rdamr.com.au/