SA virus case cleared of quarantine breach

No new COVID-19 cases have been added to SA's Parafield cluster, which stands at 33.
No new COVID-19 cases have been added to SA's Parafield cluster, which stands at 33.

A man who tested positive for COVID-19 and sparked renewed concern over Adelaide's cluster of cases has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

No new cases were added to the Parafield cluster on Monday which stands at 33, with only 14 of those still considered active.

It was previously suggested the man had failed to comply with directions to quarantine after potentially coming into contact with the virus.

But SA Health says he was only ever identified as a casual contact and was not required to isolate for the full 14 days.

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Emily Kirkpatrick said the man was required to have a coronavirus test on day one and day 12.

While he was asked to isolate as he waited for those test results, he was not required to stay home in the intervening period.

Dr Kirkpatrick said she could understand why some people would be feeling frustrated or angry towards the man.

"But what I really want to emphasise here is this person has done the right thing," she told reporters on Monday.

"They have got tested on day one and 12 and were part of a casual contact group with a lower risk profile.

"We are not about blaming individuals here, we are about making sure people go and get tested."

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens also said the man had done nothing wrong and there was no question of taking action against him under the emergency management provisions.

However, his case has prompted calls for people who visited a number of Adelaide shops on November 22 to isolate and get tested.

The order also requires anyone who visited an English language school to go into quarantine and get tested.

Despite the concerns, Mr Stevens reaffirmed that SA remained on track to ease some local virus measures from Tuesday, along with remaining border restrictions with Victoria.

Under the changes, patron caps for pubs and restaurants will be scrapped provided venues are using the new QR check-in codes, although the one person to every four square metres rule will continue to apply.

The density requirement will be reduced to one person to every two square metres for any outdoor activities where stand-up consumption will also be allowed.

Limits on funerals will be raised to 150, with the same number of people already allowed at weddings and other private events.

Home gatherings will continue to be restricted to 10 people.

Premier Steven Marshall said efforts to contain the Parafield cluster were continuing with the number of active cases coming down significantly and the number of people in quarantine or isolation cut to 1300.

"We are very hopeful that we are on top of this cluster," he said.

Health Minister Stephen Wade said work was also continuing on establishing a dedicated medical facility to care of anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 instead of placing them in hotel quarantine.

That will also apply to any returned travellers with SA set to resume international flights from next week.

"The medi-hotel is not designed for a congregation of positive cases," Mr Wade said.

"When you're talking about putting a group of positive cases together, that raises fresh challenges."

Australian Associated Press