On Sunday July 11, Auto Collectors Club of Murray Bridge (ACCMB) members woke to a rather chilly morning with the occasional burst of sunshine, but not to be deterred by this, 29 members and guests met at the Johstone Park Clubrooms at 10 am for a "blast off."
Run organisers for the day, ACCMB life members John and Vicky Courtney, met participants as they arrived and issued the day's run directions, reminding to sign log books, and to sign the attendance/COVID records book for the day.
With all the important stuff out of the way, it was time to "belt up" and hit the road, starting out onto Adelaide Road.
The convoy travelled to Mannum Road, via Thomas Street and Cypress Terrace in their mainly classic vehicles which were all clean and shiny.
On reaching the intersection of Mannum and Adelaide roads, on the outskirts of Mannum, it was a quick right and then left turn into Ridley Road before proceeding through the quaint little townships of Punthari, Cambrai and onto Sedan.
As the ACCMB convoy of cars turned left onto Angaston Road, a group of like-minded enthusiasts on motor bikes were lined up on the side of the street waving to fellow "petrol head" lovers.
Then it was off up the winding, hilly road from Sedan to Angaston, passing through, and getting glimpses of, the stone fences along the road towards Keyneton.
These stone walls were not built by farmers and pioneers of the day, but instead were constructed as mortar-less pieces of interlocking rocks like pieces of a jigsaw, by contractors who were allocated to build the fences by the North Rhine District Council in 1878.
Thes walls are now on the State Heritage Register.
As the road continued to wind its way through the picturesque countryside, the group passed through the historic township of Keyneton with its massive gum trees and sweeping landscape.
This township was founded in 1842 and was named after the English pastoralist, Joseph Keynes.
Prior to arriving at Angaston, the convoy passed by the immaculately groomed McEvoy Mitchell Racing facility a few kilometres out of Angaston.
On arriving at the Brauhaus Hotel, Angaston, members parked their vehicles and made their way into the historic 1849 building which was originally a blacksmiths shop.
Owners were later granted a licence and it was named the "New Inn".
Times have changed since then, with many new names, but in 1979 the name Brauhaus Hotel was born, and that name has stood the test of time.
With all Auto Collectors Club of Murray Bridge members and guests seated, a two-course pub meal was served, truly a meal worth driving the long way around to get to Angaston for.
Following the meal and the enjoyment of one another's company, run organiser, John Courtney brought some of the staff into the dining room to say thanks for their service during lunch.
This was followed by life member Tom West thanking John and Vicky Courtney on behalf of all those present for yet another successful club outing.
The usual applause followed before the group dispersed and left for home.
- Details: For more information or to join the club contact ACCMB president Claude Minge on 8532 2229 or 0408 813436, or vice president John Courtney on 8532 4107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org